Foreign Signs in Arabic (Visual Gallery) [Reading Activity]
- Level: Beginner
- Theme: foreign names, Miscellaneous, food and drink
- Skill: Reading the Arabic Script
- Photo Gallery: the gallery has over 150 images
- Image Credits: Mourad Diouri and others
This activity is designed to help you practice and improve your reading skills of the Arabic script which is contextualised in an authentic context using virtual realia i.e real life items taken from the Arab world.
Most of the words shown on the pictures are not Arabic. They are mostly foreign names of western companies e.g. CocaCola, McDonald, Pizza Hut, etc…
The type of pictures you will see in the gallery are:
- Western Companies’ Logos
- Packaging of food and drink
- Shop signs
- Road street and traffic signs
- Western names in Arabic
- T-Shirt Signs
Language Activity 1: Reading Bilingual Signs (Arabic-English)
- Read out loud the Arabic written on the bilingual signs (focusing on the Arabic first before you read the English equivalent)
- Practice copying some signs in Arabic
Language Activity 2: Reading Arabic Signs (without translation)
- Choose a selection of 10 images transcribed only in Arabic
- Read the Arabic writing in each image
- Write it down in your own handwriting along with its English transcription or translation (if possible).
Feedback & Reflections
- Did you find it easy to read the Arabic transcribed in the images? Why?
- Was the script style difficult or easy to decipher in some images?
- Could you suggest better Arabic transcriptions of some foreign names
If you have any questions about this activity or wish to make some suggestions or corrections please share your thoughts below.
Click on the (i) sign to read more details about each image
This work by Yaqut Portal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.